Posted on | June 2, 2011 | No Comments
An alarming report has recently highlighted that AUSTRALIA has now become the fattest nation in the world (overtaking the USA). The statistics have shown 9 millions adults are classed as overweight or obese according to their BMI status. The question is – ARE YOU ONE OF THESE 9 MILLION PEOPLE? If you are, there are some grim facts about being overweight.
Being Overweight is expensive:
- Overweight people take more medication and visit the doctor more frequently.
- It’s predicted that if the obesity crisis doesn’t stop, in the next 20 years, $6 billion dollars will be needed to cover the health bills attributed to the additional heart conditions caused by obesity.
Obesity causes health problems:
- You increase your risk of heart attack and stroke if you are overweight / obese
- Based on current evidence and statistics, 700, 000 people will be admitted to hospital for cardiovascular (heart / blood pressure) problems.
- The chances of suffering from Diabetes and Cancer also increases with weight gain.
Being overweight shortens your life expectancy:
- It’s estimated that at current statistics, 123, 000 premature deaths will occur due to weight related illnesses.
Other report findings:
- 72% middle aged men and 58% middle aged women are overweight / obese.
- Those at higher risk of premature death due to obesity are 70% men and 60% women aged 45 to 64.
- Australia has the fastest growing childhood obesity rates
So, the question I asked was – is this you? Are you part of these statistics? If you are, do you want to suffer a horrible diseased existence until you potentially die earlier than you should? Hopefully you think “NO”. The great news is, these statistics can be changed and prevented by maintaining a healthy lifestyle, normal BMI and correct diet and exercise habits.
Report: Australia’s Future ‘Fat Bomb’, from Melbourne’s Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute.