Posted on | July 30, 2012 | No Comments
Originating from Sydney, Australia, however now sold around the world – Milo is a popular chocolate and malt powder that is mixed with water or milk to produce a delicious sweet beverage. It’s reported that the name Milo is derived from the famous greek athlete (Milo of Crotona) after his legendary strength!
Milo can be found in a powder, pre-mixed drink, snack bar, cereal, yoghurt or ice-cream.
Nutrition info for Milo powder: 2 tablespoons
- Energy: 60 calories
- Protein: 2 g
- Carbs: 9 g
- Fat: 1 g
Nutrition info for Milo with milk: 2 tablespoon milo + 250ml whole milk
- Energy: 216 calories
- Protein: 9.8 g
- Carbs: 20.35 g
- Fat: 11.35 g
Oh no….. I’m slightly devastated revealing the not-so-great news about my childhood favourite drink. I had some idea that a glass of milk would be approximately 100 calories but I didn’t realize that milo contained so many calories (or perhaps I was just in denial).
My recommendations to make this drink slightly healthier are:
- Mixing with hot water is best
- Use low fat milk if you like your milo with milk
- If you use powder at home – cut your milo portion in half
- Don’t add any sugar
Other than that, you should try to replace milo with hot tea or coffee to cut down the calories you consume.
For more health and nutrition tips visit: www.healthguru.sg
Some cool facts about Milo:
- Milo contains Theobromine (an ingredient similar to caffeine) – therefore can become mildly addictive if consumed in quantities of more than 15 heaped teaspoons per day!
- It can be consumed hot or cold
- Milo is extremely popular in Singapore and Malaysia – it has 90% market share in Malaysia.
- In Malaysia, milo was used as a nutrient supplement
- There are milo vans in Singapore and Malaysia giving out milo
- Milo is an excellent topping for ice-cream
- If you microwave for 40-60 seconds you can create a milo crust / biscuit over your drink
- You can buy milo at McDonalds in Singapore and Malaysia
- A Milo dinosaur is a cup of milo with an extra spoon of milo on top
- A Milo Godzilla is a cup of milo with ice-cream and/or cream
- In India, milo is used an alternative to jam and put in bread
- In India, milo is referred to as Mamak