Posted on | March 8, 2012 | 1 Comment
Is Yong Tau Foo a healthy hawker food option? YES! Is the sauce you smother it with equally as good for you – NOT NECESSARILY!
It’s quite a general rule of thumb with sauces – just assume they’re high in calories! There’s only a few exceptions to this rule (vinaigrette, balsamic vinegar, lemon/oil etc). Always assume that if you can’t see through it, the base contains quite a large portion of sugar or fat which increases the calorie content.
To understand the calories contained in a sauce, you have to understand the ingredients it’s made from. Therefore, take a look at the recipe below for YTF red sauce:
Yong Tau Food Red Sauce Ingredients:
- 200g ketchup (500 calories)
- 100g yellow pepper sauce (100 calories)
- 100g red pepper sauce (100 calories)
- 6 pieces of tofu (bottled), mashed (180 calories)
- 100g oyster sauce (150 calories)
- 2-3 tablespoon of light soy sauce or 1 teaspoon of salt (30 calories)
- About 20 bird’s eyes chilli peppers (60 calories) (Note: adjust according to how spicy your like your sauce)
Total estimated amount for red sauce recipe: 1120 calories. I’ve estimated this receipe will give you about 500ml (2 cups). Therefore, if 1 small mini sauce bowl portion is about 30ml, I have calculated that in one small bowl there is approximately: 68 calories
1 portion of Yong Tau Foo Red Sauce = 68 calories
What does 68 calories mean?
If you are an 60kg / 80kg / 100kg person conducting very brisk continuous walking it would take you 17 minutes / 12 minutes / 8.5 minutes respectively to burn off the calories in that small bowl of red sauce.
So you can be the judge whether it’s worth it for you!